Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Conflict in the family unit

They say that blood is thicker than water and that the family should be able to withstand anything thats thrown at it, but in my opinion that is not true in what is considered the nuclear family. I come from what could be considered by todays stardards a severley dysfuntional and broken home. My parents split up while I and my younger brother were very young and we went through hell together and I feel it has been this bond that allows us to deal with any disagreements or misunderstandings that occur, where I have seen some of my closest and dearest friends family bond and units ripped apart by the smallest little incident. It is this and many other reasons why I feel that conflict inside a family must be the most important conflict learned to be dealt with.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that family problems are an important subject to learn about and try to eliminate. My parents had some issues and my mom decided to file for divorce two months into my senior year of high school. The process still isn't over, so my family is still dealing with that conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that family conflicts are some of the most significant conflicts we face. Especially since the conflict of two family members then affects the entire family and can have a domino effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess in many ways, we learn to deal with conflict first in our families. My own childhood, with 5 kids in a small home, a grandparent living with us, had both many good times and also tough times. Conflicts, over values, associations, freedoms, or whatever, surface in family life and we do often go through a school of hard knocks in coping with those closest to us.

    ReplyDelete